James Hardie siding is a type of synthetic stucco that comes in many colors, textures and styles to suit any taste. It also has many benefits over traditional wood siding and vinyl siding-even brick or stone! Many people have strong opinions about this popular siding choice but few really understand how to properly care for it. We’ll dispel some of the myths and give you some tips for caring for your James Hardie siding in Plymouth Michigan below.
How to Care for Your James Hardie Siding in Plymouth Michigan
If you have James Hardie siding installed on your home or if you’re considering getting it installed here are some tips and care information that you should be aware of. For the most part, this type of siding is very low maintenance and while there are many myths that tout otherwise, it’s a great choice for siding on your home.
What is James Hardie siding and what are its benefits?
James Hardie siding is a type of synthetic stucco that is made from recycled materials including ground-up newspapers, slag wool, limestone dust and water. This mixture creates a durable product with low shrinkage rates, high insulation value and fire resistance rating. However, it should be noted that while it’s not susceptible to mold like natural materials are, you will need to keep an eye on it for signs of fading and staining.
How to choose the right type of James Hardie siding for your home?
When choosing the right type of James Hardie siding for your home, there are a few things you will need to consider. The first is climate-James Hardie siding is not recommended for areas with severe weather conditions. The second is the style of your home-James Hardie siding is available in many different colors, textures and styles to suit any taste. The third is your budget-James Hardie siding is not the cheapest option, but it does offer a lot of value for the price.
The cost of James Hardie siding installation
The cost of James Hardie siding installation varies depending on a number of factors, including the size of your home, the type of fiber cement siding you choose and the contractor you use. However, on average, expect to pay around $10 per square foot for installation.
How to care for your James Hardie siding?
Caring for your James Hardie siding is a relatively easy task. You will need to keep an eye on it for signs of fading and staining, but other than that, it is a low-maintenance product. You can clean it with a garden hose and mild detergent or a pressure washer set to low pressure.
FAQs about James Hardie siding
Here are some of the most common questions people have about James Hardie Siding:
- Can I paint my James Hardie siding? Yes, you can paint your James Hardie siding but it is not recommended. The paint may not adhere well to the surface and it may not be as durable as the siding itself.
- Can I install James Hardie siding over my existing siding? Yes, you can install James Hardie siding over your existing siding but it is not recommended. The new siding may not adhere well to the old and it may crack or peel.
- Can I install James Hardie siding over my wood frame house? Yes, you can install James Hardie siding over your wood frame house but it is not recommended. The new siding may not adhere well to the old and it may crack or peel.
- What is the fire resistance rating of James Hardie siding? James Hardie siding has a fire resistance rating of Class A, which is the highest rating possible. This means that it is resistant to both heat and flames.
- What is the insulation value of James Hardie siding? James Hardie siding has an insulation value of R-3.5, which is one of the highest ratings available. This means that it can help to keep your home warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- What is the lifespan of James Hardie siding? The lifespan of James Hardie siding varies depending on the type and quality of the product, but on average, it is about 25-30 years.
- Are there any warranties available for James Hardie siding? Yes, there are a number of warranties available for James Hardie sidings. The most common is a 20-year warranty.
- Can I install James Hardie siding myself? Yes, you can install James Hardie siding yourself but it is not recommended. Installation is a relatively difficult task and it is best left
Consider James Hardie Siding for Your Home
Want to get more information about getting this popular siding installed on your home? Give Home Pros Plymouth a call today at (734) 548-9911 for a free quote on new siding installation in Plymouth Michigan.